harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

Former US Open champion (1964) Ken Venturi has died aged 82.

Bernard Hunt

The Ryder Cup player who was also twice non-playing captain (in the days when it was GB and Ireland rather than Europe against the US) has died aged 83.

Bernard Hunt

The Ryder Cup player who was also twice non-playing captain (in the days when it was GB and Ireland rather than Europe against the US) has died aged 83.

It says Bernard hunt 1930 -1913 . he was -17 when he died . I know old people regress into childhood when they get old but that is ridiculous.

Bernard Hunt

It says Bernard hunt 1930 -1913 . he was -17 when he died . I know old people regress into childhood when they get old but that is ridiculous.

I would have thought -17 for a golfer would be brilliant. Well under par...

• Like 5

Bernard Gallagher "critical" in hospital according to 5live. No other details at the mo, though I am sure he has had health probs afore.

Guest Lonnie

The lemonade guy Arnold Palmer turns 85 next year.  High risk for death if you think about it.

The lemonade guy Arnold Palmer turns 85 next year. High risk for death if you think about it.

Why?

Guest Lonnie

85 is really old. Most people don't even make it to 80 so he is beating the odds as all that lemonade had to have cut some years off as it's not the healthiest of drinks.

1955 US Open winner Jack Fleck is dead at 94 http://www.golfchann...s-open-dies-94/

May I be first to say....

''IN THE HOLE'''..

unless it is cremataion...

Guest Guest
Yet another famous Belgian!

Flory Van Donck, at 95 I am hoping his next hole is 6 ft deep as I have chosen him in the Weatherman thingamebob.

Had a dream last night where he died - either you're up for a hit soon or I'm up for a 2008 HDP candidate! :D

If he was still alive he'd be 101.Turns out he actually died in 1992 ! http://en.wikipedia....Flory_Van_Donck

I'm watching some of the early, pre-event coverage of the Masters on Sky Sports (well, I'm watching as much as I can take before I start feeling unwell) and they showed a bit of footage of the retired "legends" twatting around in the traditional pre-tournament "Par 3 challenge", whatever that is.

Arnold Palmer (b. 1929) is looking really doddery. A few minutes ago he only just managed get his ball over the water and onto the next part of the course. The deluded crowd gave him a huge cheer - despite the fact that it was about 15 yards from the green and it wasn't too far from the point where it would have rolled back down an incline and into the water, they reacted as though he had landed it two inches from the hole or something.

And just as I'm typing this he hit one into the water, way short of land. If he shows up to this despite being clearly unable to play, I think there's a high chance he's the kind of person who will drop dead on a course sometime. Either way I think he should be on the 2015 DL. I can't see him lasting to see too many more of these old-timers showcases. Especially if Michael Douglas ever shows up on his home course while dressed in a combat outfit and carrying a shotgun.

I'm watching some of the early, pre-event coverage of the Masters on Sky Sports (well, I'm watching as much as I can take before I start feeling unwell) and they showed a bit of footage of the retired "legends" twatting around in the traditional pre-tournament "Par 3 challenge", whatever that is.

Arnold Palmer (b. 1929) is looking really doddery. A few minutes ago he only just managed get his ball over the water and onto the next part of the course. The deluded crowd gave him a huge cheer - despite the fact that it was about 15 yards from the green and it wasn't too far from the point where it would have rolled back down an incline and into the water, they reacted as though he had landed it two inches from the hole or something.

And just as I'm typing this he hit one into the water, way short of land. If he shows up to this despite being clearly unable to play, I think there's a high chance he's the kind of person who will drop dead on a course sometime. Either way I think he should be on the 2015 DL. I can't see him lasting to see too many more of these old-timers showcases. Especially if Michael Douglas ever shows up on his home course while dressed in a combat outfit and carrying a shotgun.

To be fair my Dad was born in 1929 and his eyesight is so bad I would not trust him with a golf club even if he had ever been able to play golf.

Errie Ball, the last surviving player from the first Masters tournament has missed the cut at 103.

Well, I've got both, Jack and Arnold n my list, hopefully one, or both cark it, this year.

Guest Guest

The upcoming Open Championship and the announcement of Seves long overdue retirement led me to wonder what old golfers are still out on the course but trudging towards the great clubhouse in the sky. The DL has a half decent record with golfers in past years (Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson) and while most of the games legends are either gone or not old enough (Nicklaus, Palmer, Player), there are currently, to the best of my knowledge, just 7 men who have won a Major still alive at 80+. No idea how their health is, but step forward:

Tommy Bolt, 89

Kel Nagle, 86

Doug Ford, 85

Jack Fleck, 85

Jack Burke, 84

Roberto de Vicenzo, 84

Bob Rosberg, 80

None would be famous enough for the DL, but might be a consideration for other pools.

Now now, don't all run at once to get involved in such a blockbuster of a thread...

Kel Nagle finally in his own hole in the ground.. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/29/kel-nagle-australias-champion-golfer-dies-aged-94