Deb'sdead

Titanic Survivors

Millvina Dean is no more, she died this morning.

So how many survivors are left now?

That'll save Kate Winslet a few quid then.

Eliza Gladys Milvina Dean is indeed still with us. Born 2/2/1912, hence was 10 weeks old when the Titanic sank on 15/4/1912 (not 1908!).

I stand corrected, thanks RK. It is never a good idea to drink whiskey while researching :banghead:

Perhaps we could now close this thread, thus protecting future generations from one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever encountered.

Uh god I feel like weeping, I was actually planning on writing her a letter... not gonna get the chance anymore.... she was actually a really nice sincere old lady... why do people like her have to die and Thatcher continues to haunt us?

I met her once - seems a tough old bird. Might be a year or two in her yet.

More than one but less than two, then. Yeah, I'm sorry to see her go too, and I actually thought she might hang on to make three figures. She enjoyed herself though.

Goodnight, Millvina - time to meet your Dad at last.

• Like 1

Guest wordfinder

Question is: Do you offer a Titanic survivee ice for his whiskey?

Do you mean 'survivee' as 'someone who are survived, that is, a dead person'?

Question is: Do you offer a Titanic survivee ice for his whiskey?

Do you mean 'survivee' as 'someone who are survived, that is, a dead person'?

I've heard of l'esprit de l'escalier before, but seven years is pushing it a bit.

11 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Account of Titanic sinking from a survivor

I can’t think where else to post this but I found this a powerful account and just wanted to share.

cheers, GUN

Thanks for posting this, really fascinating to listen to. Because it happened without footage and there's been so much written and dramatised about it, it's easy to forget that this really happened - hearing, rather than reading, eyewitness accounts is so much more powerful.

Maybe a mod should put a "dead" tag next to this thread, since everyone of them is dead.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

43 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Maybe a mod should put a "dead" tag next to this thread, since everyone of them is dead.

What?? Kate Winslet is not dead. She was on TV the other week. 

4 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

What?? Kate Winslet is not dead. She was on TV the other week. 

Sadly this is not just a joke.  I looked at our local primary school website the other day, and noticed that they had been learning about the Titanic.  It was clear from some of their little essays that some of them thought the fictional characters in the film were real.  There was no indication that anyone had enlightened them.

• Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

Sadly this is not just a joke.  I looked at our local primary school website the other day, and noticed that they had been learning about the Titanic.  It was clear from some of their little essays that some of them thought the fictional characters in the film were real.  There was no indication that anyone had enlightened them.

Don't worry about that. All their parents will have been helping them with their schoolwork for the last few months and will have been using their collections of historical fiction novels as factual historical documents to explain the world we live in. 

Still think it's remarkable that the last survivor of the Titanic didn't die until 2009. A great pub quiz question to get within 5 years. Any close relations of survivors still going ie sons/daughters etc? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BeretBleu said:

250.000$ the ticket

Rich ( and famous ?) people inside ?

There was a mini-documentary on social media of a woman who was obsessed with the Titanic in school. She dedicated her life to studying it and saved for 30 years to take one of these trips. She seemed delighted, but it was a little tragic and delusional. Life savings gone in a few hours.

• Like 1

“Our company offers the finest, most accurate re-enactments shitloads of money can buy, tailor-made to give you the full ghoulish Titanic experience. Edwardian apparel encouraged, deckchair and coffin provided”.

Whatever the outcome I can already see writers/producers in their head going "I could make a movie out of this".