Happiest day as a Northampton Town fan that doesn't involve Peterborough United fans in hospital for a long, long time.

Seriously, League 1 teams, sort it out. You're really going to let the Posh go up? Although between Franchise, Notts County, Charlton and the Saints, it's not exactly a division ram-packed with likeable teams.

Right, that's you on block! From my experience, when we were overperforming minnows amongst giants as opposed to underperforming giants amongst minnows, we used to be everyone's favourite underdog amongst my "immigrant" friends in Southampton.

Man, I loved you guys during the Le Tiss/Benali era, and had a lot more patience for Strachan's passive aggressive zingers than most, but the Nicola Cortese Road Show is pretty hard to get behind.

Anyone got a spare bullet for Tom Hicks to receive? :unsure:

Not making the trip to DDT land to see my heroes in action today. I mean, when you're absolutely certain of an away win it takes all the drama out of the day, right?

Not making the trip to DDT land to see my heroes in action today. I mean, when you're absolutely certain of an away win it takes all the drama out of the day, right?

Bet you wish you'd gone now.

Bet you wish you'd gone now.

I was there with Mrs DDT and DDT Jnr. It was a cracking game and I met a few Carlisle fans. One of them had a slightly crazed look in his eye and said he was banned from all home games for continually throwing toilet rolls on the pitch, but he still goes to all the aways. I think he said his name was Mad Mike.

Yeah, we know and LOVE him. He's brought toilet rolls and other harmless missiles to Leyton Orient and Brentford in recent years. Heard it was a cracker towards the end. We're still, just, above you in the league, mind.

I can't wait for next season's Merseyside Derby!

Liverpool v Tranmere Rovers.

I can't wait for next season's Merseyside Derby!

Liverpool v Tranmere Rovers.

I'm seriously tempted to bet on Exeter playing Liverpool in the Championship next season. Very reasonable odds at 294/1.

Gordon Strachan has resigned as Middlesborough manager. Surely he'll have another job soon and be entertaining us with those classic retorts to idiotic questions:

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?

Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?

Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?

Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?

Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?

Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?

Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump of a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?

Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?

Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?

Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?

Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there

As some of you may know I'm a Feyenoord supporter. Things haven't been bright lately for the winner of the 1970 European Cup and the Uefa Cup in 1974 and 2002. A 15th place (from 18) in the Dutch Eredivisie after two wins, two ties and five losses. The defenders are shite, the forwards don't score and there's no money to contract new players.

Today Feyenoord played away against league leader PSV. A defeat was expected, but not a 10-0 one.

Relegation seems possible now. I'm gutted.

regards,

Hein

As some of you may know I'm a Feyenoord supporter. Things haven't been bright lately for the winner of the 1970 European Cup and the Uefa Cup in 1974 and 2002. A 15th place (from 18) in the Dutch Eredivisie after two wins, two ties and five losses. The defenders are shite, the forwards don't score and there's no money to contract new players.

Today Feyenoord played away against league leader PSV. A defeat was expected, but not a 10-0 one.

Relegation seems possible now. I'm gutted.

regards,

Hein

Not only Liverpool that are struggling then...

Has got Miguel Garcia any heart left for the beautiful game....

Salamanca player Miguel Garcia was rushed to hospital after going into cardiac arrest during Sunday's Segunda Division game with Real Betis.

Garcia was walking near the halfway line in the second half when he suddenly collapsed face-down onto the pitch and medical staff from both teams raced onto the pitch to aid the stricken player.

Several of Garcia's team-mates watched on in tears as the medical staff, using a defibrillator, managed to revive the 31-year-old midfielder before he was taken to Salamanca's University Hospital.

After initial examinations, where it was discovered he had suffered a heart attack, Garcia returned to the intensive care unit where a stent was put in and he will remain there for 24 hours

In the absence of Sky TV, I'm reduced to a combination of Teletext and t'internet to keep abreast of developments during matches. My text commentaries of choice are provided by The Grauniad, as they are liberally laced with humour, witticisms, and general irreverence, such as

Heavy snowfall meant travelling Manchester United fans struggled to make it from Surrey to the Boleyn Ground for tonight's big Carling Cup maaa-tch against West Ham

I particularly liked this contribution from tonights League Cup match between United and United - the score was 4-0 at the time -

76 min: West Ham substitution: Zavon Hines on, Pablo Barrera off. Hines gets a massive cheer on his return from injury. Having said that, I suspect Avram Grant could bring on Rosemary West and Gary Glitter in a double-substitution and they'd also be cheered to the rafters tonight.

The Ashes over-by-over commentaries are in a similar vein.

Mrs Rotten said a quite insightful thing to me this morning - "If Russia don't win the bid for the 2018 World Cup, watch out for news of Sepp Blatter dangling by a rope under a bridge in Zurich some time soon".

+Edit 14:07hrs GMT

PS

And the result is thus... Russia will be hosts in 2018 -

Black gold money talks > Qatar hosts in 2022 - somehow I hope it will never happen! 40 degrees heat! - the deathlist bets that year will be odds-on "any world cup player" to collapse and die of heat exhaustion.

Mrs Rotten said a quite insightful thing to me this morning - "If Russia don't win the bid for the 2018 World Cup, watch out for news of Sepp Blatter dangling by a rope under a bridge in Zurich some time soon".

+Edit 14:07hrs GMT

PS

And the result is thus... Russia will be hosts in 2018 -

Black gold money talks > Qatar hosts in 2022 - somehow I hope it will never happen! 40 degrees heat! - the deathlist bets that year will be odds-on "any world cup player" to collapse and die of heat exhaustion.

ITV have devoted a good chunk of their early evening bulletin to this news - don't they realise its been snowing?

What I found amusing was the way our 'bid ambassadors' and certain media commentators were pretty much saying it was all sewn up and it was just a matter of who was going to come second. I also think we made a couple of mistakes - Cameron and Johnson.

As an outsider looking in, I think the English media need to sort out their priorities.

They always mess it up for the English squad. This time they pissed off the Fifa executive committee by accusing its members of corruption. At the last World Cup they managed to (in effect) ruin the life of an England squad player with allegations of their private life.

Anybody would think that the Scots control your media...

This will only appeal to a few, but I did enjoy reading this rambling account of a hapless Sheffield Wednesday supporter's trip to watch his team play Exeter City on Saturday. It was the only game in Leagues 1 and 2 not to be called off due to snow and the Wednesday fans had to battle though appalling weather conditions to make it to St James Park. Many hundreds turned back, but those who arrived in time got to watch one of the most inept teams ever witnessed get battered 5-1 by a rampant Exeter (I speak with authority as I was there :( ). Some fans didn't make it back to Sheffield until 8am on Sunday.

This will only appeal to a few, but I did enjoy reading this rambling account of a hapless Sheffield Wednesday supporter's trip to watch his team play Exeter City on Saturday. It was the only game in Leagues 1 and 2 not to be called off due to snow and the Wednesday fans had to battle though appalling weather conditions to make it to St James Park. Many hundreds turned back, but those who arrived in time got to watch one of the most inept teams ever witnessed get battered 5-1 by a rampant Exeter (I speak with authority as I was there :( ). Some fans didn't make it back to Sheffield until 8am on Sunday.

Great post DDT. That account ought to be read by some of those rich arseholes in the premiership to remind them of what the game means to people at the grass roots away from the telly money, the big trophies and the prats who run FIFA. The nose-clipping story was a bonus.

Bill Gates helps out JJB

"Struggling British sportswear retailer JJB Sports said investors including Bill Gates, the United States' richest man, have backed a 31.5 million pounds ($48.57 million) fundraising to keep the firm alive."

Could he be about to take over from Dave Whelan as Chairman of Wigan Athletic? That would be interesting!