CarolAnn

Baseball

And again the last night last. the Yankees won another one, while their lowly enemy across the miles of water, The Mets lost once more to The Nationals. The Mets are officially dead which makes them prime feed for this thread.

• Like 1

I know what you're saying but disagree. The baseball 'perfect game' is something that is defined, i.e has definite parameters, whereas what you are saying is a perfect game is something that is felt at an emotional level (and being an ABU man, the Bayern Munich match was anything but perfect). They may be perfect results (in someone's opinion), but I don't think they can really be called 'perfect games' unless you can say what makes a perfect game.

I did. What makes a perfect game is one team coming back against another and winning against all the odds. It has nothing to do with the result from anyone's point of view although I would agree the Ozzies and Bayern fans might have found difficulty seeing perfection there. So perfection probably does have to involve an affinity with the winning team (not that I'm a ManU fan).

I was simply pointing out that it's typically American to regard a close-out as a perfect game. That's not a perfect game. It's not much of a game at all. In the same way I suppose the Americans would have regarded a perfect Gulf War, one in which the whole of Iraq and its people were obliterated without a scratch among US troops, a bit like the Indian wars - perfect for "closing-out" North America's native inhabitants whose survivors can watch baseball and feel civilised, and yes it is spelled with an "s" in civilised countries.

Bear with me, please. Technically it’s possible for both teams to pitch a perfect game in the same match, though this would mean it carrying on at 0-0 for the rest of time, and I can’t see Americans liking that very much. However, a team throwing a no-hitter (almost the same, but base runners can score via errors) could narrowly lose to a team throwing a perfect game in what could be seen (by purists only, perhaps) as a tense and exciting pitching duel.

So a perfect game wouldn't necessarily mean “the winning side completely dominates the losing one”.

I sense I’m losing readers fast.

I know what you're saying but disagree. The baseball 'perfect game' is something that is defined, i.e has definite parameters, whereas what you are saying is a perfect game is something that is felt at an emotional level (and being an ABU man, the Bayern Munich match was anything but perfect). They may be perfect results (in someone's opinion), but I don't think they can really be called 'perfect games' unless you can say what makes a perfect game.

I did. What makes a perfect game is one team coming back against another and winning against all the odds. It has nothing to do with the result from anyone's point of view although I would agree the Ozzies and Bayern fans might have found difficulty seeing perfection there. So perfection probably does have to involve an affinity with the winning team (not that I'm a ManU fan).

I was simply pointing out that it's typically American to regard a close-out as a perfect game. That's not a perfect game. It's not much of a game at all. In the same way I suppose the Americans would have regarded a perfect Gulf War, one in which the whole of Iraq and its people were obliterated without a scratch among US troops, a bit like the Indian wars - perfect for "closing-out" North America's native inhabitants whose survivors can watch baseball and feel civilised, and yes it is spelled with an "s" in civilised countries.

Bear with me, please. Technically it’s possible for both teams to pitch a perfect game in the same match, though this would mean it carrying on at 0-0 for the rest of time, and I can’t see Americans liking that very much. However, a team throwing a no-hitter (almost the same, but base runners can score via errors) could narrowly lose to a team throwing a perfect game in what could be seen (by purists only, perhaps) as a tense and exciting pitching duel.

So a perfect game wouldn't necessarily mean “the winning side completely dominates the losing one”.

'arry, you can't make that argument because you aren't actually arguing that it's bad because it's American.

Losing readers fast?

They were off down the pub eons ago.....

I dont think I have ever heard the terms "tense" and "exciting" attributed to Baseball.

Then again, I know bog all about baseball.

Is it like Rounders? :lol:

'arry, you can't make that argument because you aren't actually arguing that it's bad because it's American.

Can I step in and make that argument then, CA? :lol:

Anybody want to step in and make that argument?

Come on now, we havent had a fight for days! :lol:

Why do their wicket keepers look like they're dressed for war? Do they stop for lunch and tea?

A lot of good things have come out of America. Not sure baseball is one of them but what about astronauts? Astronauts were pretty good. Hamburgers? Maybe not. The Osmonds? Mmmm. Elvis? Definitely. Rap music? Fifty cents? George Gershwin? Maggie Thatcher? Oops,

I confess to knowing very little about baseball other than it's a bugger to play on the Nintendo Wii and I'm pretty sure the console cheats.

And for the second Saturday running the Yankees are being prevented from taking another step in stealing their championship title as it's raining again.

In the end, a win means Yankees triumph over the hideous Phillies and the win either keeps Steinbrenner alive or the shock does him in rapidly.

I'd say Yankees will take it in extra innings in game 7 unless they lose in game 6.

"The Big Unit" Randy Johnson has announced his retirement after 22 seasons at the age of 46.

I'll always remember him as one of the most fierce and intimidating pitchers to ever play baseball in my lifetime. At one point, back in the mid 1990's\early millennium, his fastball was probably hitting 100 MPH and he could also throw a 97 MPH slider. They have described his pitching style as being almost "violent" back in his prime.

Former New York Yankees manager Ralph Houk has died aged 90.

Any more of this and the Yankees will need their own thread.

Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn is suffering from parotid cancer for the third time, possibly because he likes chewing baccy. I think that's what the Beastie Boy recently overcame, but here's the lowdown on cancer of the salivary glands for those that are interested.

I'm sure he is going to be an obit free zone. But I noted his name and thought he will get the right help. However I read the notes and cut and paste the best bit...

Prognosis

The major determinants of survival are histology and clinical stage. Poor prognostic factors include high grade, neural involvement, locally advanced disease, advanced age, associated pain, regional lymph node metastases, distant metastasis, and accumulation of p53 or c-erbB2 oncoproteins.

Although statements regarding survival are difficult to make because of the large variety of histologic types, 20% of all patients will develop distant metastases. The presence of distant metastases heralds a poor prognosis, with a median survival of 4.3-7.3 months.

Overall 5-year survival for all stages and histologic types is approximately 62%. The overall 5-year survival for recurrent disease is approximately 37%. Because of the risk of recurrence, all patients who have had a histologically proven malignant salivary gland tumor should have lifelong follow-up.

Now to me that looks a tad grim. Could do with a better fame check.... Maybe one for 2011?

Lou Gorman, Boston Red Sox GM from 1983 to 1993, has died aged 82.

This period encompasses my domicile in the US of A, and having originally landed at Boston Logan, the Red Sox seemed the logical team to follow (until I moved to Minnesota and started to follow the Twins, after a brief flirtation with the Yankees following a boozy encounter with Billy Martin - I believe I may have mentioned that before).

Guest Guest
Lou Gorman, Boston Red Sox GM from 1983 to 1993, has died aged 82.

This period encompasses my domicile in the US of A, and having originally landed at Boston Logan, the Red Sox seemed the logical team to follow (until I moved to Minnesota and started to follow the Twins, after a brief flirtation with the Yankees following a boozy encounter with Billy Martin - I believe I may have mentioned that before).

I could have sworn Lou Gorman was a name on deathlist one year.Maybe I'm getting him m ixed up with someone else

This one goes out to the left hand side of the pond from someone who owns a Mets t-shirt.

Do I really have Ron Santo on too many of my deadpool lists? Or is he really ill, and quite likely to die at any time?

I put Emilio Navarro on one of my dead pool lists. At 102 he's bound to go sooner or later

Ron Santo seems to be doing fine, well as fine as he can be at the moment

A bit later than sooner, but finally the oldest living professional baseball player Emilio Navarro has died,aged 105

ps Ron Santo died last december too

Rangers win game 2. :sicktherm:

• Like 1