maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

Mike Seeger, half brother of Pete and an accomplished folkie in his own right, in now in a hospice having discontinued treatment for the lethally unlucky combination of leukemia and multiple myeloma.

Hmmmm, bang on the borderline of obit-worthy UK I reckon. CPDP might be a different matter, how big is Bluegrass in Canada?

Mike got the BBC treatment.

How about replacing him with Tim Hart, founder member of Steeleye Span, who is suffering from inoperable lung cancer? The article is from May, so he might have already died, but if he has, he's done it very quietly.

• Like 1

Hart is still breathing. Thanks for the tip.

Irish folk legend Liam Clancy, 74, the last surviving member of The Clancy Brothers, isn't doing too well at the moment.

It's inevitable. Everything passes," he says, before reaching for an oxygen cylinder and attaching the tubes to his nose for a spell. "I am on my last legs. I need a bit of oxygen every now and then. I got this virus in California, and it attacked my immune system. It's called pulmonary fibrosis - scarring of the lungs. That's what killed my brother. There's no cure, but it seems to be moving quite slowly in my case."

He was too ill to attend a civic reception held in his honour last week and doesn't look at all well in

Irish folk legend Liam Clancy, 74, the last surviving member of The Clancy Brothers, isn't doing too well at the moment.

It's inevitable. Everything passes," he says, before reaching for an oxygen cylinder and attaching the tubes to his nose for a spell. "I am on my last legs. I need a bit of oxygen every now and then. I got this virus in California, and it attacked my immune system. It's called pulmonary fibrosis - scarring of the lungs. That's what killed my brother. There's no cure, but it seems to be moving quite slowly in my case."

He was too ill to attend a civic reception held in his honour last week and doesn't look at all well in

UK obits assured as and when I reckon, hang in on there until Jan 1st Mr Clancy

Hmmm..I give him a couple of years...

Mercedes Sosa, activist and folk singer, has died aged 74 after suffering kidney problems.

Calypso singing all round sensitive sort Cy Grant is still blogging and working a few weeks short of his 90th birthday.

Deffo obit-worthy when age finally catches up with him.

Taylor Mitchell, and up and coming new folk singer from Canada, was killed by coyotes.

The cruel hand of irony could yet turn that story into one hell of a blues song.

taylormitchellomfgeaten.jpg

Artist's impression of how the attack may have looked

Since the thread strap line namechecks the great man let's celebrate the 71st birthday of Gordon Lightfoot.

Hmm...couple of months might have been better! He's dead. RIP Liam :(:D

Blimey...

Blimey...

He could have hung on just one more month

Kate McGarrigle is done aged 64. Neil McCormick demonstrating he has no idea who she is by just typing her name into Spotify and then talking about her talentless children for a bit instead.

Sad news about Kate McGarrigle. And yes, she's another one I've seen live (Glastonbury 1992 in the acoustic tent - v good, and funny when she and Anna started bickering half way through!) RIP

Since the thread strap line namechecks the great man let's celebrate the 71st birthday of Gordon Lightfoot.

Dead.

Dead.

Vancouver Sun have withdrawn the article.

I guess it will go back and forth over the next week until we find out that he didn't really exist afterall

So much so, we now have this headline

Gordon Lightfoot very much alive

Dead.

Not Dead (edit- don't bother clicking, its the same as the link above!)

Dead.

Cut and Paste from the Vancover Sun....

"Gordon Lightfoot’s management says an Internet hoax created false rumours that the iconic Canadian folksinger had died Thursday."

Sorry only looked at post 120 and never checked that it had moved on to a 9th page.

I always thought Sundown was kind of a creepy song, rife with the levels of bitterness and paranoia of Wild World.

• Like 1