football_fan

Dead Drummers

Buffalo Springfield drummer Dewey Martin has died aged 68. :)

He sang backing vocals on their biggest hit “For What It’s Worth” – in addition to providing the LSD that he claimed inspired Stephen Stills to write the song.

This is almost one for the great gigs in the sky thread. Neil Young nixed a BS reunion in 1986, before winding up his former bandmates when the song Buffalo Springfield Again on his Silver and Gold album expressed a wish to reunite the old band. At which point bassist Bruce Palmer promptly died. Palmer had been deported from the USA so he wasn't the only bassist in the band. But the reunion is permanently knackered now, any line up claiming to be a genuine BS get together is - at least - slightly compromised.

• Like 1

Buffalo Springfield drummer Dewey Martin has died aged 68. :)

He sang backing vocals on their biggest hit “For What It’s Worth” – in addition to providing the LSD that he claimed inspired Stephen Stills to write the song.

Dewey was one of the great 60s singing drummers (and great druggies, for that matter), but sadly I can't find any live footage of the Buffs with him on lead. In place and by way of a small tribute, here's his nearest contemporary, the Band's Levon Helm, gittin' it on.

"Legendary big band drummer Louie Bellson , who performed with such greats as Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman and Oscar Peterson, has died. He was 84...

... Bellson's career spanned more than six decades, performing on more than 200 albums with jazz greats including Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Woody Herman, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong and his late wife Pearl Bailey."

... Bellson's career spanned more than six decades, performing on more than 200 albums with [...] his late wife Pearl Bailey."

Now then, now then. Give the man a badge.

He recorded albums with his 'late wife Pearl Bailey,' so how does that work? He drums on the urn or something?

Was he the one John Lennon really rated? He's famous as asking some of the Motown production staff; 'What's your drummer using to get that sound, a bloody tree?'

Mo-town drummer Uriel Jones is dead at 74. Uriel drummed for Marvin Gaye and a few other artists who I never really bothered listening to. He was involved with songs such as "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". Ain't-no-mountain-highhhh-enoughh.

Here's Uriel in fairly recent action and chatting with Tim Office. A drummer from the less-is-more school, thankfully.

(clip may be a little TL;DW for some)

Sorry to go all obscure (yet again :rip: ), but I cannot let the passing of Ted Bluechel Jr go unmentioned. He was drummer and vocalist with Californian sixties band The Association. I'm a fan of their work and happen to think they were a bit under rated. Ted hasn't even got a proper obituary, but his death was announced in the New York Times paid death notices section.

I'm hoping a learned DL music fan like HMBWA, ATJ or MPFC might know who The Association were. I'm suffering from obscure death posting anxiety.15.gif

Sorry to go all obscure (yet again :rip: ), but I cannot let the passing of Ted Bluechel Jr go unmentioned. He was drummer and vocalist with Californian sixties band The Association. I'm a fan of their work and happen to think they were a bit under rated. Ted hasn't even got a proper obituary, but his death was announced in the New York Times paid death notices section.

I'm hoping a learned DL music fan like HMBWA, ATJ or MPFC might know who The Association were. I'm suffering from obscure death posting anxiety.15.gif

Fear not, O Devonian One. I wouldn't call The Association obscure, at least not to Americans - they had two #1 hits there in the mid-60s. They were a kind of Mamas and the Papas without any Mamas, one might say.

Since you ask, west coast/sunshine pop/bubblegum-psych is, along with powerpop, one of my favourite sub-genres (and one of Anubis's pet hates). I'm not a huge Association fan, but they're of interest for being originally produced by similarly underrated, chubby (and dead) Brian Wilson-alike Curt Boettcher, later of the fab n groovy The Millennium.

I suppose Windy is their best-known song, obviously named after one of our beloved DL regulars.

Sorry to go all obscure (yet again :blink: ), but I cannot let the passing of Ted Bluechel Jr go unmentioned. He was drummer and vocalist with Californian sixties band The Association. I'm a fan of their work and happen to think they were a bit under rated. Ted hasn't even got a proper obituary, but his death was announced in the New York Times paid death notices section.

Fear not, O Devonian One. I wouldn't call The Association obscure, at least not to Americans - they had two #1 hits there in the mid-60s. They were a kind of Mamas and the Papas without any Mamas, one might say.

Since you ask, west coast/sunshine pop/bubblegum-psych is, along with powerpop, one of my favourite sub-genres (and one of Anubis's pet hates). I'm not a huge Association fan, but they're of interest for being originally produced by similarly underrated, chubby (and dead) Brian Wilson-alike Curt Boettcher, later of the fab n groovy The Millennium.

I suppose Windy is their best-known song, obviously named after one of our beloved DL regulars.

Good stuff Harry, I hadn't realised they were so unobscure.

This is a bit odd, but according to this rather fascinating thread on the oldies.com message board, he isn't dead at all.

It looks as if the deceased person had told people he used to be the drummer for The Association and whoever paid for his obit to go in the NY Times believed him enough to include that information. All very strange. :rip:

Sorry to go all obscure (yet again :blink: ), but I cannot let the passing of Ted Bluechel Jr go unmentioned. He was drummer and vocalist with Californian sixties band The Association. I'm a fan of their work and happen to think they were a bit under rated. Ted hasn't even got a proper obituary, but his death was announced in the New York Times paid death notices section.

Good stuff Harry, I hadn't realised they were so unobscure.

This is a bit odd, but according to this rather fascinating thread on the oldies.com message board, he isn't dead at all.

It looks as if the deceased person had told people he used to be the drummer for The Association and whoever paid for his obit to go in the NY Times believed him enough to include that information. All very strange. :rip:

Incidentally, tonight is Mamas & Papas night on BBC4. Maybe we should have a thread for the only survivor*, Michelle Phillips.

* apart from Jill Gibson, of course.

michellebeh.jpg

Oddly enough, one drummer still thrashing away is Clyde Stubblefield. A man who'd be forgiven for becoming bitter, twisted and suicidal.

Clyde - a king of ryhthm if ever such a man existed - was James Brown's drummer in the sixties. He's the man on Funky Drummer and therefore the man sampled every time. He was on salary, James Brown directed the band and therefore 'wrote' the songs. So Brown gets the money despite the fact that most samples of James Brown records don't include Brown's voice and often include Clyde Stubblefield's drums.

Clyde's kidneys have failed. He might have to stop thrashing until he finds a donor.

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10553179

Session drummer Bobby Graham, who thumped the tubs for The Dave Clark Five, The Walker Brothers and The Kinks is suffering from terminal stomach cancer.

His doctors have now confirmed that he has a few weeks, at best, but the end could come at any moment

Just wondering that as we have a thread dedicated to drummer, how about we create a thread for other band members of groups from the 50s & 60s?

Allen Shellenberger, a drummer who doesn't strike a match in my mind of drummers who exist as I know it, but he exists to some people and he plays for a band called 'Lit' and he has been hospitalized because of a brain tumor. A drum just beats for drummers in the world of death. I just can't figure it out.

The prognosis doesn't look very good for Allen Schellenberger.

Allen Shellenberger, 40, has been battling a malignant brain tumor for more than a year, and the tumor has reached Stage IV....The cancer is having a hell of time beating him, but the type of cancer he has is unbeatable. It’s just been a matter of keeping him from feeling pain.

I so nearly picked him for my DDP team, but changed my mind at the last minute because I wasn't conviced he'd get the right obituary. I think I replaced him with Alex Higgins. :unsure:

Guest Guest
Allen Shellenberger, a drummer who doesn't strike a match in my mind of drummers who exist as I know it, but he exists to some people and he plays for a band called 'Lit' and he has been hospitalized because of a brain tumor. A drum just beats for drummers in the world of death. I just can't figure it out.

Allen Shellenberger, 40, has been battling a malignant brain tumor for more than a year, and the tumor has reached Stage IV....The cancer is having a hell of time beating him, but the type of cancer he has is unbeatable. It’s just been a matter of keeping him from feeling pain.

I so nearly picked him for my DDP team, but changed my mind at the last minute because I wasn't conviced he'd get the right obituary. I think I replaced him with Alex Higgins. :unsure:

He is dead. http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/08/14/l...ger-dead-at-39/

Allen Shellenberger, 40, has been battling a malignant brain tumor for more than a year, and the tumor has reached Stage IV....The cancer is having a hell of time beating him, but the type of cancer he has is unbeatable. It's just been a matter of keeping him from feeling pain.

I so nearly picked him for my DDP team, but changed my mind at the last minute because I wasn't conviced he'd get the right obituary. I think I replaced him with Alex Higgins. :)

Wonder if he will get the obit?

Allen Shellenberger, 40, has been battling a malignant brain tumor for more than a year, and the tumor has reached Stage IV....The cancer is having a hell of time beating him, but the type of cancer he has is unbeatable. It's just been a matter of keeping him from feeling pain.

I so nearly picked him for my DDP team, but changed my mind at the last minute because I wasn't conviced he'd get the right obituary. I think I replaced him with Alex Higgins. :)

Wonder if he will get the obit?

Here is an MTV obit: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1618779/20090814/lit.jhtml

Interestingly enough, at least according to Wikipedia, Ted Kennedy has the type of brain tumour...

Interestingly enough, at least according to Wikipedia, Ted Kennedy has the type of brain tumour...

Its what my dad died of... :(

Where's the Dead Drummers thread gone!?

I wonder if Richie Hayward, drummer and founder member of Little Feat would get a UK obit? I only mention this as his Wikipedia page says he has liver cancer.

I always get Little Feat and Cheap Trick mixed up, I can't remember which group is better known.

link for DDT's comment regarding Little Feat drummer Richie Hayward having liver cancer

Where's the Dead Drummers thread gone!?

I wonder if Richie Hayward, drummer and founder member of Little Feat would get a UK obit? I only mention this as his Wikipedia page says he has liver cancer.

I always get Little Feat and Cheap Trick mixed up, I can't remember which group is better known.

I'd say Cheap Trick is better known, based solely on the fact that while I haven't listened to music from either of them, I've at least heard of Cheap Trick. :rolleyes: