DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

Cardinal Stéphanos II Ghattas, 88, patriarch emeritus of Alexandria of the Copts, Egypt, died on January 20, in Cairo.

Link

Just to clarify,he was the leader of the Catholic Copts, not to be confused with the Coptic Orthodox Church,headed by Pope Shenouda III,or the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate, headed by Pope-Patriarch Theodoros II. :pop:

• Like 1

Thanks for that detailed clarification, DDT.

There's certainly no copt-out from you when it comes to elderly churchmen

tumbleweed.gif

Cardinal Stéphanos II Ghattas, 88, patriarch emeritus of Alexandria of the Copts, Egypt, died on January 20, in Cairo.

Link

Just to clarify,he was the leader of the Catholic Copts, not to be confused with the Coptic Orthodox Church,headed by Pope Shenouda III,or the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate, headed by Pope-Patriarch Theodoros II. :pop:

Link

It would have been more impressive if he was leader of the Keystone Copts.

Link

It would have been more impressive if he was leader of the Keystone Copts.

All that matters is that he's copt it.

The Patriarch of the Georgian Orthodox Church, has been hospitalised with a virus and forced to cancel a trip to Moscow.

Illia II Ill

Bishop Richard Williamson, who has been in the news this week for denying the Holocaust and then apologising to The Pope for his comments, is reported to be dying of cancer. :blink:

Is he really a bishop?

Ken Hutcherson, former NFL linebacker and outspoken anti gay pastor, has been suffering from prostate cancer for the last six years. In an email to followers, he has asked them to pray for him and told them he is about to start chemotherapy. Prostate cancer isn't usually treated with chemotherapy unless the condition is very advanced, or if it has spread to the bones.

Ken Hutcherson, former NFL linebacker and outspoken anti gay pastor, has been suffering from prostate cancer for the last six years. In an email to followers, he has asked them to pray for him and told them he is about to start chemotherapy. Prostate cancer isn't usually treated with chemotherapy unless the condition is very advanced, or if it has spread to the bones.

"I've met many ex-gays, but I've never met an ex-black."

I take it he has never met Michael Jackson?

These have to be some of his best:

"I believe that God’s word is the final word. I believe that mine is not. And anything that God say is wrong, I say is wrong. And anything that God says is right, I say is right. I do not hate homosexuals. That’s the worst lie that’s ever been told about me. I hate homosexuality because the bible does."

Hutcherson: "The country better be glad I did not want to be President of the United States."

Goertzen: "You think pretty highly of yourself."

Hutcherson: "You know why? I know who I belong to. I'm a child of the King."

Hutcherson: “God has given us this country and has given us animals to subdue and train, and that's what I do and I enjoy it."

Goertzen: "You think God gave us animals to subdue and train?"

Hutcherson: "Oh yeah, you bet, to please man."

Cardinal Stephen Sou Hwan Kim, former Archbishop of Seoul, has died on February 16, aged 86.

Link

Cardinal Stephen Sou Hwan Kim, former Archbishop of Seoul, has died on February 16, aged 86.

Link

Darn it. Should have listed him.

Cardinal Paul Joseph Pham Ðình Tung, former Archbishop of Hanoi, Vietnam, has died on February 22, aged 89.

Link

Guest Grave Mistake

Here is some information from a spreadsheet I possess that contains information on most of the current Cardinal electors (those cardinals under 80 years of age who would be eligible to vote in a Papal election, were Ratzinger to drop dead tomorrow. Once they turn 80, they can't vote :rolleyes: .)

I list their age, name and nationality. Underneath is a brief sentence or two about the more notable ones, including any known health concerns (the spreadsheet was originally created for betting on the name of the next Pope-it contains a more detailed profile of each one :) ).

Very mixed bag of people - some great human rights activists, reformers, etc but some very dubious characters as well. Many, many of the older cardinals had links to Pinochet, the Argentine War and so on but fortunately, they are more than 80 years of age now, so were removed from this list. Lots of shady types still on here, though.

Just for the record, though not a Catholic, I would like to see Daneels (a famous Belgian!) or Husar as next Pope. Of course, as compassionate reformers, they don't stand any real chance... :rolleyes:

Here they are (hope formatting isn't too screwed up). Should be some interesting candidates to pick over amongst this lot:

1929 Jozef Glemp Polish

Anti-semite. Slave labour camp worker in WW2.

1929 Dario Hoyos Colombian

Took money from drug cartels when other bishops refused to do so.

1929 Francesco Marchisano Italian

1930 Aloysius Ambrozic Slovenian

Ultra-conservative

1930 Julian Casado Spanish

Opus Dei

1930 Ignace Daoud Syria

1930 Salvatore De Giorgi Italian

Sicilian!

1930 Michele Giordano Italian

Been acquitted of criminal corruption – twice.

1930 Paul Poupard French

1930 Janis Pujats Latvian

Strongly anti-homosexual.

1930 Christian Tumi Cameroon

1930 Thomas Williams New Zealander

Morals campaigner. Anti-gambling.

1931 Nicolas Cheong Jin-Suk South Korean

1931 Bernard Law Mexican

Marred by US sex abuse scandals.

1931 Bernard Panafieu French

1931 Camillo Ruini Italian

Retired for age/health reasons.

1931 Sergio Sebastiani Italian

1931 Adrianus Simonis Dutch

Ultra-conservative

1931 Agustin Vicente Spanish

1932 Francis Arinze Nigerian

Ultra-conservative. Health issues.

1932 Renato Martino Italian

Denounced execution of Saddam.

1932 Jose Martins Portuguese

1932 Cormac Murphy-O'Connor English

Tainted by sex scandals.

1932 Gaudencio Rosales Filipino

Moderate successor to Cardinal Sin.

1932 Eusebio Scheid Brazilian

1932 Henri Schwery Swiss

Ultra-conservative

1932 Rodolfo Toruno Guatemalan

Peace maker.

1932 Miloslav Vlk Czech

Worked as underground helper in Communist years.

1932 Joseph Zen Ze-Kiun Chinese

Stood up to China over Tianemen Massacre. Freedom activist and non-violent resistance campaigner.

1933 Geraldo Agnello Brazilian

1933 Javier Barragan Mexican

1933 Godfried Daneels Belgian

Very liberal, peace activist. Great reformer. Health problems – heart attacks in the past.

1933 Raffaele Farina Italian

Head of Vatican Secret Archives.

1933 Lubomyr Husar Ukrainian

Regarded as very holy. A Catholic Cardinal who is actually a Christian!

1933 Walter Kasper German

Very ecumenical and strong on building relations with Jews.

1933 Joachim Meisner German

Ultra-conservative, infamous for attack on modern art. Accused of being not a Christian. Virtually a Nazi.

1933 Francisco Ossa

Chilean Helped poor during Pinochet regime.

1933 Severino Poletto Italian

1934 Tarcisio Bertone Italian

Made a fool of himself attacking Da Vinci Code.

1934 Julius Darmaatmadja Indonesian

Links to Indonesian military...

1934 Claudio Hummes Brazilian

Opposed military regime in Brazil and helped leftist President win power.

1934 Jean-Baptiste Man Pham Vietnamese

Has helped to build infrastructure and education in his diocese.

1934 Giovanni Re Italian

Potential to reform the Vatican from within if elected Pope.

1934 Franc Rode Slovenian

Vatican diplomat. Built relations with Marxists.

1934 Dionigi Tettamanzi Italian

Spoken out on corporate ethics and against Iraq War. Supported anti-globalisation protestors but may have links to Opus Dei. Very flamboyant.

1934 Carlos Vallejo Spanish

1935 Paul Cordes German

1935 John Foley United States

Teetotaller.

1935 Giovanni Lajolo Italian

1936 Jaime Alamino Cuban

Former political prisoner. Theologian and Human Rights medal recipient.

1936 Ennio Antonelli

Italian Excellent relations with his flock but cool relations with Rome. Patron of the arts and strong interest in social justice and peace issues.

1936 Jorge Bergoglio Argentine

Links to Argentine Dirty War have hugely discredited him.

1936 Ivan Dias Indian

Opus Dei links. Links to Argentine Dirty War.

1936 Karl Lehmann German

Recent health issues. Calls for end to priestly celibacy.

1936 William Levada United States

Successor to Ratzinger as Head of Inquisition. Very cold-hearted.

1936 Roger Mahony United States

Very controversial in US sex abuse scandals.

1936 Anthony Okogie Nigerian

1936 Jose Policarpo Portuguese

1936 Nicolas Rodriguez Dominican

Has stood up to the military and accused them of siphoning aid money intended for the poor

1936 Julio Sandoval Bolivian

1936 Theodore-Adrien Sarr Senegalese

1936 Georg Sterzinsky German

Notable only for attacks on the issue of homosexual marriage.

1936 Jean-Claude Turcotte Canadian

1936 Antonio Varela Spanish

1937 Audrys Backys Lithuanian

1937 Francis George United States

1937 Attilio Nicora Italian

Overlooked by Ratzinger for Secretary of State job.

1937 Lluis Sistach Spanish

1938 Carlo Caffarra Italian

Medical ethicist.

1938 Keith O'Brien Irish

Serious health problems. “The Cardinal of Controversy.” Attacked the Hokey Pokey...

1939 Sean Brady Irish

1939 Stanislaw Dziwisz Polish

1939 Zenon Grocholewski Polish

1939 Telesphore Toppo Indian

1940 Agostino Vallini Italian

1941 Wilfrid Napier South African

1941 George Pell Australian

Ultra-conservative Australian. Anti-environmentalist and alleged to be involved in multiple sex scandals. Denies global warming.

1941 Angelo Scola Italian

Paleoconservative – decline of Europe. Strong theologian. Inquisitor but warm and open. Very conservative views on sex. Able to rise above ideological disputes. Very gracious in person. May become fourth Pope from Venice in the last 100 years. Unyielding but not a fanatic on issues such as cloning, human embryo reseach and so on, he is one of those who began as a supporter of Vatican 2 but later grew to have reservations. Current favourite to be the next Pope.

1941 Gabriel Wako Sudanese

Had done enormous amount to fight hunger, support health care and education, and calls on God of Peace.

1942 Norberto Carrera Mexican

Alleged involvement in child sexual abuse cover-up. Links to ultra-conservative groups.

1942 Juan Cipriani Thorne Peruvian

Opus Dei. Corrupt and against human rights. Pro-war and patriotism. Hated in his native Peru.

1942 Oscar Maradiaga Honduran

Human rights champion and peace-broker.

1942 Jorge Urosa Venezuelan

1942 Andre Vingt-Trois French

Former right-hand man of flamboyant, deceased Cardinal Lustiger. Ultra-conservative.

1943 Angelo Bagnasco Italian

Supports military. Has had death threats due to extreme conservatism on marital issues.

1943 Angelo Comastri Italian

1943 Leonardo Sandri Venezuelan

1943 Crescenzio Sepe Italian

Purged by Ratzinger. Has called for Neapolitans to sheathe their knives and return to Christ.

1943 Jean-Louis Tauran French

Has undertaken a lot of work for peace, including campaigning against Iraq War

1944 Oswald Gracias Indian

1944 John Njue Kenyan

1944 Sean O'Malley United States

Humble in manner of dress for the most part, preferring Capuchin cossack over Cardinal's robes. Achieved a lot in cleaning up sexual abuse issues in the United States that have crippled Church in that country. First cardinal to embrace technologies such as blogging.

1944 Marc Ouellett Canadian

Issued apology for past abuses by the Church.

1944 Jean-Pierre Ricard French

1945 Antonio Llovera Spanish

“Little Ratzinger.”

1945 Vinko Puljic Croatian

Croatian human rights activist in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

1945 Stanislaw Rylko Polish

1945 Christoph Schonborn Czech-Austrian

Intelligent, high profile aristocratic Count. Opened evolution/intelligent design can of worms. Very rigid views. Born in Bohemia, Czech Republic. Studied under Ratzinger. Has made some gaffes in public. Alleged Fascist apologist?

1948 Peter Turkson Ghanaian

1949 Josip Bozanic Croatian

1949 Daniel DiNardo United States

1949 Francisco Ortega Mexican

1949 Odilo Scherer Brazilian

Concerned for social justice. Moderate who hates showman priests. Possible future Pope.

1950 Philippe Barbarin

French Super-healthy (runs marathons). Looks poor from debacle and treatment concerning ostracisation of liberal Archbishop Gaillot.

1952 Peter Erdo Hungarian

Why not take the plunge and fully register Mr Mistake?

Cardinal Umberto Betti, former Rector of the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome, has died on April 1, aged 87.

Link

He is the fifth cardinal who died just for the first four months of this year (compared to 8 cardinals who died in 2008). I am watching closely these fellows. Some kind of cardinal plague maybe?

Canada's oldest bishop, Albert Sanschagrin, has died. No obit yet though, just an update on the Catholic Hierarchy site. I thought maybe he was picked on the CPDP (perhaps by me...) but apparently not.

Ian Cundy, the Bishop of Peterborough has died. Amen.

You can say that again. I've been waiting ages for a second hit!

'Suddenly' according to the report, so mebbe his heart gave out in the battle against the cancer, or summat.

Well, he was on my team last year (I'm such a pioneering trendsetter!) but I dropped him to the sub's bench after he failed to take his chances to score.

I must say I'm a little disappointed with my team's preformance so far this year, I hope to make amends in 2010.

Anyway, I'm going abroad for a week (to Kuwait of all places), when I come back I fully expect to have scored more points. Isn't it amazing that Bobby Robson, Ted Kennedy, Bob Novak and Patrick Swayze are all still alive?

Well, he was on my team last year (I'm such a pioneering trendsetter!) but I dropped him to the sub's bench after he failed to take his chances to score.

I must say I'm a little disappointed with my team's preformance so far this year, I hope to make amends in 2010.

Anyway, I'm going abroad for a week (to Kuwait of all places), when I come back I fully expect to have scored more points. Isn't it amazing that Bobby Robson, Ted Kennedy, Bob Novak and Patrick Swayze are all still alive?

Whaddya mean, you're third!

Before today, I was in glorious joint 191st place!

My, you have high standards. Still, consider yourself fortunate Heaven Knows didn't pick him, otherwise he'd be over the hill and far away...

I too picked him before, dropped him this year and now sit powerlessly and watch 25 teams score DDP points, he's added a belated boost to my Poolofdeath performance, mind.

• Like 1