The Yeti

The Welsh

One of only 12 living Victoria Cross recipients, Welsh WW2 hero Sir Tasker Watkins has now reduced that number by one. He was a unique DDP pick for someone too.

Sounds like quite a chap: "On 16 August 1944 at Barfour, Normandy, France, Lieutenant Watkins' company came under murderous machine-gun fire while advancing through corn fields set with booby traps. The only officer left, Lieutenant Watkins led a bayonet charge with his 30 remaining men against 50 enemy infantry, practically wiping them out. Finally, at dusk, separated from the rest of the battalion, he ordered his men to scatter and after he had personally charged and silenced an enemy machine-gun post, he brought them back to safety. His superb leadership not only saved his men, but decisively influenced the course of the battle".

• Like 1

Pepsi Tate, bassist in the band Tigertailz, has died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 43.

His death leaves a massive void in the Welsh glam metal scene.

So we have went a month without any other WWI vets passing away?

All the operations they did on horses and sheep in the trenches gave them a long life

I never knew they had sheep in the trenches. Were they there to satisfy the sexual needs of the Welsh Guards?

Shirley Bassey has had an emergency operation on her stomach.

Sadly, she is still alive.

She gets to be a "Dame" because she sang Goldfinger? Damn you Brits aren't all that discriminating in awarding that title.

Reminds me of the old Welsh joke...

During WWII, a German spy was parachuted into Wales with instructions to contact a man called Jones in a certain village. He arrived early in the morning, walked down the main street,

and the only person he saw was a policeman, who greeted him pleasantly. He thought: a policeman should know everybody in the village, so he asked for directions to the house of a man called Jones. The policeman replied: “Well boyo, just about everyone here has the name of Jones, so we go by our our occupations. There is Jones the Post, Jones the Baker, Jones the Plumber … as a matter of fact, I’m Jones the Police.” Ach so, thought the German, this policeman may be the man I am wanting. I will give him the password. “The sun rises in the east”, he said. “Oh”, replied the policeman, “it’s Jones the Spy you were wanting. Why didn’t you say so in the first place?”

• Like 1

Ran into someone who knew Dennis Powell - Welsh boxer and former British champion. He opined that Dennis must be long dead, but Googling him I could find a date of birth in December 1924, but no date of death, or obit.

Boxers ship punishment and I remember hearing about Powell being involved in a fight in the fifties that one boxing journalist with years under his belt rated the most brutal he'd ever seen. Said fight, was - I think - his 1953 bout with George Walker. To put this in context, when Powell was discussing his win with a journalist he was also having an eyebrow stitched back on. Definitely one of those, 'you should see the other guy,' moments. So, if Powell is alive, he'd be an obit-worthy candidate, and probably have some serious miles on the old body clock.

RAF Tornado Jets practising manoeuvres over my part of the country. The noise they make as they fly low is deafening and sounds like they are about to crash right into you, it's fine if you are outside, but when in the house it's pretty terrifying if it catches you unawares. I've been ill all week and went for a sleep yesterday afternoon only to wake up 1/2 an hour later as two of them went overhead and I could have sworn they were just about to crash into the house <_< . There have been a lot of them in the last fortnight and I've noticed they are out and about practising night manoeuvres too, although at a higher altitude, so less noisy, the last time there was this much activity was just before 'we' invaded Iraq, I really hope it's just an intesive training programme and isn't a portent of things to come :( .

Ah, I know exactly what you are experiencing LG.

I live about 5 miles (as the crow flies) from RAF Marham and about 20 miles from Mildenhall and Lakenheath USAF bases (you know when you are near those by seeing all the LHD cars laying in ditches with their owners half dead in Hospitals- God awful drivers)

The noise around here some days is bloody ridiculous!!

I have to say tho, the most frightening thing occoured about 3 months ago. There was I up a pole in a forest when I heard this horrific noise. I looked up to see a fleet of huge Helicopters no more than 100ft up flying past in formation. The noise was like nothing I had ever heard before, terrifying and awesome.

I want to fly Helicopters! ;)

I went to a holiday park in Carmarthen once, and directly across the bay was some sort of jet fight target practice thing, so for the whole week we were subjected to the screech of jets about 15 feet above our heads. That, along with the shitty weather, the miserable Welsh f***kers that worked on the campsite, and the complete lack of anything to do apart from talk Welsh and be miserable, has put me off ever going to Wales ever again in my entire life. It was the absolute shittest holiday I have ever had.

I went to a holiday park in Carmarthen once, and directly across the bay was some sort of jet fight target practice thing, so for the whole week we were subjected to the screech of jets about 15 feet above our heads. That, along with the shitty weather, the miserable Welsh f***kers that worked on the campsite, and the complete lack of anything to do apart from talk Welsh and be miserable, has put me off ever going to Wales ever again in my entire life. It was the absolute shittest holiday I have ever had.

I moved to Wales about 8 years ago, fantastic country, friendly enough people, only met one complete arsehole (i.e.bigot, got the usual bullsh1t go home etc. Needless to say he no longer lives in our village) in the whole time I've been here.

RAF Tornado Jets practising manoeuvres over my part of the country. The noise they make as they fly low is deafening and sounds like they are about to crash right into you, it's fine if you are outside, but when in the house it's pretty terrifying if it catches you unawares. I've been ill all week and went for a sleep yesterday afternoon only to wake up 1/2 an hour later as two of them went overhead and I could have sworn they were just about to crash into the house <_< . There have been a lot of them in the last fortnight and I've noticed they are out and about practising night manoeuvres too, although at a higher altitude, so less noisy, the last time there was this much activity was just before 'we' invaded Iraq, I really hope it's just an intesive training programme and isn't a portent of things to come :( .

Ah, I know exactly what you are experiencing LG.

I live about 5 miles (as the crow flies) from RAF Marham and about 20 miles from Mildenhall and Lakenheath USAF bases (you know when you are near those by seeing all the LHD cars laying in ditches with their owners half dead in Hospitals- God awful drivers)

The noise around here some days is bloody ridiculous!!

I have to say tho, the most frightening thing occoured about 3 months ago. There was I up a pole in a forest when I heard this horrific noise. I looked up to see a fleet of huge Helicopters no more than 100ft up flying past in formation. The noise was like nothing I had ever heard before, terrifying and awesome.

I want to fly Helicopters! ;)

Tsk, tsk, no mention of the fact that the safety of Western civilisation depends on the bravery of these boys in their flying machines, and that they have to indugle in noisy practice somewhere. From this perspective, one suddenly grasps the reason for the existence of Wales.

When I was dragged to Wales as a small boy for a 'holiday', I was intrigued by the tendency of people in shops to start talking in Welsh as soon as an English person came within earshot. If a tornado or two had screeched overhead at the right moment, I would have lived a bit longer without realising that people can be petty-minded. Unless they had responded by shouting very, very loudly in Welsh.

• Like 1

Welsh "personality" Sir Dai Llewellyn is dying. He is now living in a hospice. :P

At 62, the high living of the 'Seducer of the Valleys' has caught up with him and he is gravely ill. In August, doctors told him he had prostate cancer, cirrhosis of the liver and severe anaemia. A month ago, he learned the cancer had spread. It is in his right temple, cheek, shoulder and lower back.

Welsh "personality" Sir Dai Llewellyn is dying. He is now living in a hospice. :P

At 62, the high living of the 'Seducer of the Valleys' has caught up with him and he is gravely ill. In August, doctors told him he had prostate cancer, cirrhosis of the liver and severe anaemia. A month ago, he learned the cancer had spread. It is in his right temple, cheek, shoulder and lower back.

Seems like a safer bet than Susan Atkins if you ask me...

It's - just about - mid-November and he's cancer riddled and living in a hospice. People like this are the reason we need reserves on our team lists. I don't think he'll make 2009.

I thought Dai Llewellyn was older than 62. While I know the name, I'm not really sure what he's famous for to be honest. Still - a hospice in Kent eh? Anyone know whereabouts in the Garden of England as I might be able to do a bit of noseying if it's near me.

After a recent discussion with a fellow DLer, I went on a wikihunt for Welsh Comedians and found these two comedians who seem to be old yet going strong. Wyn Calvin and Stan Stennett.

As it stands*, all Welsh born comedians who are remotely funny seem to have either moved in their infancies to the right side, sorry, east side of Offas Dyke or had public schooling in England. (Griff Rhys Jones, Dawn French, Paul Whitehouse, Keith Allen and Terry Jones for the benefit of BC Alum who it would appear adores lists). And yes, Rob Anton de Beke Brydon is absent for a reason. He is sh*t.

* from Wiki and my personal appraisal of the wiki list of Welsh comedians. There's nothing like some good old fashioned bias in a DL post :unsure:

After a recent discussion with a fellow DLer, I went on a wikihunt for Welsh Comedians and found these two comedians who seem to be old yet going strong. Wyn Calvin and Stan Stennett.

As it stands*, all Welsh born comedians who are remotely funny seem to have either moved in their infancies to the right side, sorry, east side of Offas Dyke or had public schooling in England. (Griff Rhys Jones, Dawn French, Paul Whitehouse, Keith Allen and Terry Jones for the benefit of BC Alum who it would appear adores lists). And yes, Rob Anton de Beke Brydon is absent for a reason. He is sh*t.

* from Wiki and my personal appraisal of the wiki list of Welsh comedians. There's nothing like some good old fashioned bias in a DL post :unsure:

I think Tom Jones is pretty funny.

Stephanie Parker, an actress in some Welsh TV drama tosh, has been found dead - aged 22.

A youngster hanging themself in Wales? Who'd haved guessed. :unsure:

Bleddyn Williams

The Welsh rugby union legend has died at the age of 86. He was known as the "Prince of Centres", was the last man to lead Wales to victory over the All Blacks and also captained the British and Irish Lions.

One for the Welsh speakers among us.

Geraint Owen an actor in Welsh Soap Poboi y Cwm has died suddenly aged 43.

The Welsh language poet Dic Jones has died at the age of 75. He was also the Archdruid of Wales and a farmer.

He wrote poems extolling the Ffyrgi and the Jac Codi Baw – the Massey Fergusson tractor and the JCB

Micky Jones, guitarist with Welsh progressive rockers Man has died aged 63, look you!

Welsh Assembly member Brynle Williams has spoken of his battle with colon cancer and his determination to return to work next year....

• Like 1