Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

An article in the Independent about American boxing journalist George Kimball, who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer with a prognosis of "six weeks to two years".

Are the burns from Lutons' infamous plastic pitch?

They should've been, but in this case it was actually dodgy lines at Carmarthen.

Wow, I'd not heard of that incident. Sounds like it was pretty nasty.

Thanks for that tidbit, OoO.

Also, if you do know Andy Dibble well, pass on my apologies and disgust about his (and other) players not being paid whilst the Wrexham administration debacle was going on. I am so embarrased and angry about the absolute bastards that had control of the club at the time. I'd be very surprised if a certain ex-money man's knee caps aren't compression tested by a Wrexham Frontline baseball bat now that they've been relegated into the football badlands.

That'd be such an awful shame.

Del Deanus, manager of Ryman League stalwarts Edgware Town, has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. The lowly status of his club might not get him a UK obit, but the fact that the started his career with Spurs and played schoolboy football for England might help his cause.

Vinay Chakravarthy, 29, an Indian doctor working in America is suffering from Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (the really lethal type) He made the news as Barrack Obama campaigned last year for more donors to register in an effort to save him. If Obama becomes President and Chakravarthy subsequently dies, I am sure that his death will become major news.

Greg Rita, 52, who caddied for Curtis Strange at consecutive U.S. Open victories and for John Daly when he won the British Open at St. Andrews, is suffering from a malignant brain tumour. I wouldn't have thought that he will get a UK obit, but it never ceases to amaze me who does get a mention when they go.

Finally, there are lots of squabbles going on in Thailand at the moment about who will replace Supreme Patriarch Nyanasamvara Suvaddhana, 94, when he dies. He has been in hospital since 2004 and is believed to have been lingering between life and death for about six months.

Del Deanus, manager of Ryman League stalwarts Edgware Town, has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. The lowly status of his club might not get him a UK obit, but the fact that the started his career with Spurs and played schoolboy football for England might help his cause.

Vinay Chakravarthy, 29, an Indian doctor working in America is suffering from Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (the really lethal type) He made the news as Barrack Obama campaigned last year for more donors to register in an effort to save him. If Obama becomes President and Chakravarthy subsequently dies, I am sure that his death will become major news.

Greg Rita, 52, who caddied for Curtis Strange at consecutive U.S. Open victories and for John Daly when he won the British Open at St. Andrews, is suffering from a malignant brain cancer. I wouldn't have thought that he will get a UK obit, but it never ceases to amaze me who does get a mention when they go.

Finally, there are lots of squabbles going on in Thailand at the moment about who will replace Supreme Patriarch Nyanasamvara Suvaddhana, 94, when he dies. He has been in hospital since 2004 and is believed to have been lingering between life and death for about six months.

Good stuff as always DDT. Now that DDT mentioned him, I give the Patriarch :D 10 days to live.

Good stuff as always DDT. Now that DDT mentioned him, I give the Patriarch :D 10 days to live.

10 days? That's generous. Knowing DDT's record, ALL of them will be dead within a week.

Guest Guest
Was Tommy Burns so terrible? In the spring of '98 he took over a Reading club that were already well on their way down to Division 2 (which I believe was Division 3 in the old money), the next season they finished 11th. He got fired the following autumn, and the club went on to finish 10th. As bad as Mugabe?

It's not the results. Ian Porterfield was a completely sh*t manager for us, but he did his job with dedication, commanded respect & did his best to help Reading out of a financial crisis which was not of his doing. Thus, at his passing last year, there was sadness for a man much higher than 6 loan games as a player & two rubbish years as a manager deserved.

It's the man.

Scrapped our reserve & youth teams out of his own choice. No financial pressure - just sacked 20 hard working members of staff (including Alan Pardew, who later came back & saved us from the brink). Then sacked the reserve & youth playing staff in one fell swoop - some as young as 14 year old kids.

Then there's his treatment of the remaining first team staff - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...11/ai_n14484966

Then, there's the small matter of turning a club which made £2.1 million profit the season before he arrived, to a club that made a loss of £5.7 million at the time he was sacked, with the club heading to relegation & oblivion - with Burns pocketing a HUGE amount for himself, but freezing the wages of the club's kit cleaner "to save money".

His contempt of the fans was such that he never once turned up for a Fans Forum.

He openly presided over a drugs & drink culture at the club which saw two players getting sacked (Jim McIntyre & Byron Glasgow) & the club being investigated, The PFA said it was the worst case of player management they "had ever seen."

In short, Burns pocketed at least a million in cash & left the club, its players, its future players & its fans to rot.

You can't do all that from just looking at the league table & going "oh that's not so bad", you have to know the truth behind it.

I make no apology for it. Burns is a twat & I don't have time for twats on this earth. One less twat in the world is fine by me.

Here endeth my Burns rant & the end of the topic. If you really want to take it up further, PM me, but let's keep on topic in at least ONE DL thread, heh?

PS You missed a relegation, CR. He got us relegated once. That in itself is not a crime worthy of evil, but it didn't help his record.

There is now one less, Mr Odstock. Don't put him in your team :skull:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/7402185.stm

Guest Guest_Phantom_*
Was Tommy Burns so terrible? In the spring of '98 he took over a Reading club that were already well on their way down to Division 2 (which I believe was Division 3 in the old money), the next season they finished 11th. He got fired the following autumn, and the club went on to finish 10th. As bad as Mugabe?

It's not the results. Ian Porterfield was a completely sh*t manager for us, but he did his job with dedication, commanded respect & did his best to help Reading out of a financial crisis which was not of his doing. Thus, at his passing last year, there was sadness for a man much higher than 6 loan games as a player & two rubbish years as a manager deserved.

It's the man.

Scrapped our reserve & youth teams out of his own choice. No financial pressure - just sacked 20 hard working members of staff (including Alan Pardew, who later came back & saved us from the brink). Then sacked the reserve & youth playing staff in one fell swoop - some as young as 14 year old kids.

Then there's his treatment of the remaining first team staff - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...11/ai_n14484966

Then, there's the small matter of turning a club which made £2.1 million profit the season before he arrived, to a club that made a loss of £5.7 million at the time he was sacked, with the club heading to relegation & oblivion - with Burns pocketing a HUGE amount for himself, but freezing the wages of the club's kit cleaner "to save money".

His contempt of the fans was such that he never once turned up for a Fans Forum.

He openly presided over a drugs & drink culture at the club which saw two players getting sacked (Jim McIntyre & Byron Glasgow) & the club being investigated, The PFA said it was the worst case of player management they "had ever seen."

In short, Burns pocketed at least a million in cash & left the club, its players, its future players & its fans to rot.

You can't do all that from just looking at the league table & going "oh that's not so bad", you have to know the truth behind it.

I make no apology for it. Burns is a twat & I don't have time for twats on this earth. One less twat in the world is fine by me.

Here endeth my Burns rant & the end of the topic. If you really want to take it up further, PM me, but let's keep on topic in at least ONE DL thread, heh?

PS You missed a relegation, CR. He got us relegated once. That in itself is not a crime worthy of evil, but it didn't help his record.

There is now one less, Mr Odstock. Don't put him in your team :skull:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/7402185.stm

Reading fiddles while Tommy Burns?

Slovakian musician Peter Dula, the leader of "Europe's top country band", Veslari (also known as Peter and the Rowers), is suffering from " aggressive post-radiation sarcoma".

Chatham Docks! Do any of our regulars live down that way, or would we all cope in the event of the threatened disaster?

Pah! They've been living with the wreck of the SS Richard Montgomery for years down that way

In 1944 the Richard Montgomery, a vessel some 440 feet long and weighing 7,176 tons, manned with a crew of 50, plus 30 gunners, sailed from Philadelphia with a cargo of 6000 (six thousand) tons of munitions for the US Air Force. This cargo included;

13,064 general purpose 250lb bombs

9,022 cases of fragmenting bombs

7,739 semi-armour piercing bombs

1,522 cases of fuses

1,429 cases of phosphorous bombs

1,427 cases of 100lb demolition bombs

817 cases of small arms ammunition

Having crossed the Atlantic Ocean with the probability of attack by u-boat, she arrived in the Thames estuary on route to her final destination of Cherbourg. During the night of 20th August 1944 she swung around at her moorings and run aground on the Sheerness middle sand. Her plates quickly began to crack and buckle and her remaining crew abandoned ship

Chatham Docks! Do any of our regulars live down that way, or would we all cope in the event of the threatened disaster?

Should it explode, some say, it will be the worlds biggest non-nuclear explosion. Sheerness would cease to exist, every building flattened by the explosion and the following tidal waves.

Causing millions of pounds worth of improvements....HONK!

Should it explode, some say, it will be the worlds biggest non-nuclear explosion. Sheerness would cease to exist, every building flattened by the explosion and the following tidal waves.

Causing millions of pounds worth of improvements....HONK!

Can explosives that have been underwater for sixty years still go off? This sounds like so much sh!te, probably made up by the Chatham/Sheerness tourist board.

But if it were to blow up, at least the theme tune's already been written.

This is the coastal town

That they forgot to close down

Armageddon - come armageddon!

Come, armageddon! come!

Pah! They've been living with the wreck of the SS Richard Montgomery for years down that way

In 1944 the Richard Montgomery, a vessel some 440 feet long and weighing 7,176 tons, manned with a crew of 50, plus 30 gunners, sailed from Philadelphia with a cargo of 6000 (six thousand) tons of munitions for the US Air Force. This cargo included;

13,064 general purpose 250lb bombs

9,022 cases of fragmenting bombs

7,739 semi-armour piercing bombs

1,522 cases of fuses

1,429 cases of phosphorous bombs

1,427 cases of 100lb demolition bombs

817 cases of small arms ammunition

Having crossed the Atlantic Ocean with the probability of attack by u-boat, she arrived in the Thames estuary on route to her final destination of Cherbourg. During the night of 20th August 1944 she swung around at her moorings and run aground on the Sheerness middle sand. Her plates quickly began to crack and buckle and her remaining crew abandoned ship

Not sure it'd be on a tsunami scale but I do remember seeing this ship on an edition of Coast. I think the received wisdom at present is that Sheerneess might still be standing but it would be orgasmic if you were in the emergency building repairs business.

Sheerness doesn't stand, it slumps.

I think the received wisdom at present is that Sheerneess might still be standing but it would be orgasmic if you were in the emergency building repairs business.

Sheerness doesn't stand, it slumps.

I think the received wisdom at present is that Sheerneess might still be standing but it would be orgasmic if you were in the emergency building repairs business.

Dagnamit, I was trying to find an oh so vaguely related link about the Isle of Sheppey but failed. It was along the lines of chavscum.co.uk which also seems to have aptly fallen into decline, either that or I forget the actual site, however you get the idea. It was an unbiased (written by those fortunate to have obtained the relevant visa to become ex-swampies) review of the island and its attractions. I must admit to taking a detour once on the way to Canterbury to see what all the fuss was about. The only thing I remember is the breathtaking Kingsferry (one or two words?) bridge. Isn't she a beauty?

bridge2.jpg

It is probably quite ironic therefore that

another improvement in foundations in the early 19th century involved hydraulic cement. A better scientific understanding of the material by the Frenchman Vicat and the Englishman Aspdin and discovery of the material in a natural state in 1796 on the Isle of Sheppey in the Thames estuary, by Lafarge at Le Teil (France)
Which puts an altogether different edge on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slag_cement IMHO.

Cheers CR for the little bit of Morrisey that's now going through my head btw (this is a good thing, don't worry!)

[/end of tangent]

Comic book artist Gene Colan, is seriously ill with liver problems. He's probably another one who will drop dead tomorrow, so I wasn't going to bother mentioning him, but I see his wife thinks there is a chance he might pull through to finish some work commitments:

"Anyone with commissions outstanding, I'll have a sense within the next couple of weeks if he can fulfill them, if not, please don't worry, I'll return your monies promptly. I don't want to pull the rug out from under him. But if he can do anything, he'll need to finish the 10 pgs. remaining on his 38 pg. Captain America Civil War for Marvel."

If there's a chance of him recovering to write 10 pages of comic strip, then he's going on this thread.

It's unbelievable with you. I think your work here is very admirable Devon, but you truly track down every single article that may have some long term value. You remind me of the fat kid who doesn't share. I actually saw that exact article when it first came out and I really hesitated saying to myself 'No, it's very American - it's not for here' and here you are posting what I rejected. It proves to me that your really an information maniac. Your consistency in this category is irreplaceable.

~bleh ~ You remind me of the fat kid who doesn't share ~blah~ It proves to me that your really an information maniac..

So I remind you of a selfish fat kid who happens to be a maniac? :P

No, I don't seriously vision you as being very obese. I'm a pretty intelligent guy Devon, I have a theory that you may be involved with a medical profession based on your knowledge of human health. No matter what the deal is 'your very valuable' to this website and it's all appreciated.

The only obstacle now is that you need to learn how to spell hospitalized the English way.

I'm a pretty intelligent guy Devon, ... No matter what the deal is 'your very valuable' to this website and it's all appreciated. ... you need to learn how to spell hospitalized the English way.

That's enough rope.

Anyway, didn't you say you weren't coming back?

Shirley Bassey has had an emergency operation on her stomach.

Sadly, she is still alive.

She gets to be a "Dame" because she sang Goldfinger? Damn you Brits aren't all that discriminating in awarding that title.

We are not - it absolutely astounds and disgusts me that Kelly Holmes is a dame. She won a couple of running races. Whoopee sh*t. 'Dame' in Holmes' case is an absolute joke.

She gets to be a "Dame" because she sang Goldfinger? Damn you Brits aren't all that discriminating in awarding that title.

We are not - it absolutely astounds and disgusts me that Kelly Holmes is a dame. She won a couple of running races. Whoopee sh*t. 'Dame' in Holmes' case is an absolute joke.

A bit strong Lardy. Did she throw a brick through your window or something? I think Blair was just keen to hand out a few popular gongs and titles. Brown should try it. He could enoble a Blue Peter Presenter or someone from Big Brother.

A bit strong Lardy. Did she throw a brick through your window or something? I think Blair was just keen to hand out a few popular gongs and titles. Brown should try it. He could enoble a Blue Peter Presenter or someone from Big Brother.

I see LB's point. These celebrities have the benefit of media coverage. Imagine someone from some more obscure domain, say newt-onian dynamics or to bring it closer to heart, squid science or anglobelgian relations. Let's take the squidophile, say they have some earth shattering breakthrough in their respective field making them internationally famous on the squid science conference circuit, i.e. top of their game for their profession. Is it fair that just because they don't make (insert popular British media outlet here) they won't get to see Bettie?

Godot, think of the squidophiles. Arise and take arms against this grave injustice today!

BTW what is your stance on using the third person plural for anonymity? I am doing some English corrections for my former boss and in his letter to some reviewers he has opted to use his (her), him (her) etc. throughout. I think it is a bit Germaine Greer for my liking but I can't fault it, there are bigger squid to fry. Oh am I in for a riveting evening.

I see LB's point. These celebrities have the benefit of media coverage. Imagine someone from some more obscure domain, say newt-onian dynamics or to bring it closer to heart, squid science or anglobelgian relations. Let's take the squidophile, say they have some earth shattering breakthrough in their respective field making them internationally famous on the squid science conference circuit, i.e. top of their game for their profession. Is it fair that just because they don't make (insert popular British media outlet here) they won't get to see Bettie?

Godot, think of the squidophiles. Arise and take arms against this grave injustice today!

BTW what is your stance on using the third person plural for anonymity? I am doing some English corrections for my former boss and in his letter to some reviewers he has opted to use his (her), him (her) etc. throughout. I think it is a bit Germaine Greer for my liking but I can't fault it, there are bigger squid to fry. Oh am I in for a riveting evening.

At least he isn't using zie and zir.